So it is officially May!! Which I'm hoping means less rain and more flowers springing up!
So what's been going on with us.
Well I have begun my "semi-long term" sub position. I am subbing for a 4th grade teacher. His wife had a baby, so he is off for 2 weeks!
It has been a blast so far. I went in guns loaded making sure they knew I meant business. They still try to get away with stuff, but then they soon realize that it ain't gunna fly!
Some funny things that have happened so far:
1. I got asked if I was hispanic because of my last name. I said no my husband is part Cuban... BUT THEY HATE US! ha... I then had to explain he was born in the US.. and his grandfather was from Cuba... Then I had to explain that my name meant "of the River" because they thought I was wrong when I didn't capitalize the d in del of del Rio! ha. They have now been saying that I am a river!
2. On Monday the day after we found out that Osama was killed the boys were coming in chanting USA! USA! USA! And to think... They were born the year 9/11 happened.
3. One boy asked me if I listened to Eminem..
4. They are making poetry books for next Friday, so we started writing Haiku's today. We did one as a class. They found out my name is 5 syllables, so we wrote it about me. It ended up going something like this:
I am a river
I am a fun flowing river
Mrs. del Rio
5. I started using the smartboard and the touch pad that goes with it (can't think of the name) Their teacher has never used it before, and one girl goes whoa... it's like there is a ghost in the room! (because it writes on the board whatever I write on the pad, so I can walk around the room and not have my back to the students... it's awesome!)
I'm sure there have been a variety of other fun things that have happened! I have also found a student that is going to be my project while I am here. They don't seem to really try on any work in class. The excuse it that they just don't know how to do it... Well I don't believe that!
Here are a few pictures from my phone:

I passed this bus on the way home today (don't worry we were stopped)
Autobus DEL RIO (bus of the river!)
Crazy!

Here is Samantha squished up in her crate... She is getting so big. We really need to upgrade the crate!

She's SOO cute!

Awe!!!
So yesterday I was driving through Bentonville and stopped next to a car with it's back window rolled down. A little boy popped his head out the window and immediately started making faces at me. Squishing his face.. Then sticking his tongue out at me.. And finally making an L on his forehead... We continued down the road, and several times stopped next to each other. He was so funny. Finally by the time we were about to depart from each other the last time he waved bye!
I have also become OBSESSED with the TV show Las Vegas! It is so much fun to watch! It comes on twice a day every week day (it's an older show so it's all reruns) I DVR it everyday so when I get home in the afternoon I watch it! I got really far behind, so this past weekend I had a marathon!!! I finally got caught up just in time for the new week!
I also have become OBSESSED with "The Voice!" I think it is so much fun to watch, and hope that it ends up being a really good show!
This weekend is going to be fun! Mother's Day is Sunday so we are honoring both mothers in our lives by having them other at our house for lunch! I am making Nathan's favorite Chicken Pot Pie and then Sopapilla Cheesecake for dessert. I have not made the cheescake before, so I'm super excited!! I'll let you know how it goes and then post the recipe!
I hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and celebrate the wonderful women in your lives!
No comments:
Post a Comment