So I start this blog off with a picture of the cutest dogs in the world...

You may be wondering why??? But trust me I will get there. The dog on the left is Scout my brother and sister in laws dog. The dog on the right is Suzy my families dog that we have had FOR YEARS!
I am so thankful for them. You never realize how close you have become to a dog until you hear a story of someone losing their dog, and you think what it would be like without yours.
Today in school I had a boy tell me in computer lab that his dog died yesterday. He told me like it was nothing. He told me that it got ran over last night after getting out. The day went on, and I honestly didn't think anything of it. We got to Math, and they were working individually on somethings. I look over. He is talking to Mrs. Crow and starts BAWLING. He is telling her about his dog, and how much he misses him. It made me so sad, and reminded me of how lucky I am that I still have my dog. We have had her for almost 13 or more years. I don't know what I would do if we lost her.
It made me think of all the students that come to school everyday with so much baggage. They walk in the door with all their home life. They are carrying so much. We as teachers are not there just to teach them, but to love on them. We are there to help them forget about their worries at home, and help them get through the day. We have a very important job.
As teachers we are also there to encourage students. I have one particular student who thinks he is the dumbest student ever. It makes me so frustrated and sad. I gave them a science test yesterday. He cried the entire way through it. I knew he knew the answers (not only because their test was the study guide...) but I knew he was smart. I kept encouraging him the entire time. Constantly telling him he was smart, and could do it.
Well today I was grading the tests and what did he make....BUT A 100%. I was so frustrated, yet so proud. I called him over to my desk that afternoon, and showed him what he made. His face lit up. I have never seen this kid smile like he did today. It really made my heart happy, and showed me why I am/want to be a teacher!!!!
As you can tell, we, as teachers have a tough job to do. That is why it is a calling, and when I go into this classroom everyday I know that I have been called to teach... through the good days and bad!
Love your kids and love your pets!
No comments:
Post a Comment