Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Alice in Wonderland

Oh what a day! Wow I have never been so tired after a day. (Or my feet haven't been so tired) We walked literally ALL of Oxford today. This morning we got up and headed out to catch a train (not the tube, but a real train) to get to Oxford. It took about an hour to get, and once we got there we just kept going. There were so many unique places we went to today. So much history in one little town.

So I have loaded you down with TONS more pictures because I feel like I can't explain anything without pictures. I decided to try and pic just the important ones because I ended up taking about 50 pictures in just one day.
Maybe tomorrow will be less pictures and more telling, but who knows.

Oh I also wanted to say that I got a children's book today!!!!!! I mean when do I ever pass up a children's book. It is a book and London. They have several of them from different places like London, Paris, Rome, even Texas and New York. But I am so excited about it because I will be able to share about the city of London with my students and evens how real pictures from the trip!

But I may not even post tomorrow.. I mean it is my birthday I may need a break. Ha. JK I love posting on here.

But off to the day and pictures.

Our first Train Ride to Oxford. Got off standing on our platform
Walking in Oxford Looking at the University
Oxford University!
Courtyard/ door that leads to their school of Music. (couldn't find the education door) :(
The Oxford Library (part of it)
Inside Oxford
The official sign! (The University church of St. Mary the Virgin)
The Oxford University church
Inside Church
John Wesley (a martyr) went/preached at this church
This is where the message is held. This is off to the side not in the middle of the building unlike church's in todays society.
Inside the Church (organs)
These are a list of martyrs in the church before/during the Protestant Reformation.
This is a cute little pub in Oxford. Here is where Tolken (Lord and the Rings) and C.S. Lewis (tons of books) wrote and chatted about their books. They always sat around and either talked about what they were writing about or even argued about different issues.
Here we ate lunch (a good ole lunch of fish and chips!)
This is a spot in the road in Oxford. This is where several martyrs were burned at the stake and several years later they put this in the exact spot it happened.
Outside of Christ Church College and Cathedral.
This is the outside of Christ Church College and Cathedral in Oxford.
This is the Hall in the Christ Church College/Cathedral. In this hall is where they filmed part of Harry Potter. They also have two club looking things with girls heads on them that gave Lewis Carroll (The author of Alice in Wonderland) the idea of Alice's neck getting longer when she drank the potion.

The Little Courtyard in the middle of Christ Church (College and Cathedral) in Oxford.
The whole picture of the cathedral
This is a picture of the inside part of the Cathedral (The front)

So this picture below is from Lewis Carrolls book Alice in Wonderland! (you can't tell I'm an education major..) But this is where we got the idea of Alice's door. The tree behind it is the idea of the chesire cat. There was a cat that always sat in that tree.

Here is a closer up picture of the door. Some more cool info is that Lewise Carroll went to this church/school. There the dean's daughter went named Alice. He liked her a little. So he decided to make a book about her. There was also a winding staircase that Alice's dad always went down, and this was how he came up with the winding fall of Alice.

So that was our day! Traveled all around Oxford and then came back and ate a good ole Subway Sandwich.

Talk to ya tomorrow~


1 comment:

Mom said...

I am now caught up with all of your travels. Wow one day maybe I will get to see some of these things! oh yeah, by the way, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!
love ya lots,
mom